Monday, June 3, 2013

Top 10 MG/YA Time Travel


I always enjoy Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, and it's usually quite a challenge to come up with ten books that fit the theme. This week's topic, Books Featuring Travel, is the exception--it's almost too easy, because there's so much fiction that involves travel. A few favorites that come to mind are Walk Two Moons, Sway, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Mr. Mysterious and Company, The Hobbit, Travels With Charley, The Historian, The Bean Trees, and The Incredible Journey (which I read on a long car trip when I was about ten.)

Just to make it more fun, I'm going to share my TOP TEN TIME TRAVEL NOVELS. As usual, I'll give my list a kid lit twist, focusing on middle grade and YA. Some of these are reviewed elsewhere on my blog--just click on the asterisk to go to my review.


Charlie Bone and the Time Twister
by Jenny Nimmo



Ruby Red 
by Kerstin Geir 
    *



Beswitched 
by Kate Saunders 
    *






by Rebecca Stead 
      *






by Penelope Farmer 
  



by Philippa Pearce 







by Annie Barrows 







by Laurel Snyder 
           *





by Ransom Riggs







by Madeleine L’Engle







by Wendy Mass



17 comments:

Jade said...

I've been wanting to read Miss Peregrine... forever now. I really should pick it up.

thebookshelfgargoyle said...

Oh my, I love your list. Charlie Bone, When You Reach Me, Tom's Midnight Garden - it has it all! There's a few here that I'll be popping on my TBR list as well. Thanks! Here's my list:

http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/top-ten-tuesday-books-that-feature-travel/

Ruth Donnelly said...

Jade, Miss Peregrine starts a little slow, but once it took off, I was hooked.

Bookshelf Gargoyle, thanks for the comment. I love your persona & your blog!

Barbara Watson said...

I haven't read some of these, but I loved When You Reach Me. Time travel can be a hard thing to pull off, and I enjoy reading the different ways writers accomplish it.

Anna Staniszewski said...

Since I'm currently brainstorming a time travel novel, this list couldn't be more timely! (Did I just make a pun?) I haven't heard of a couple of these--will definitely check them out!

Asti said...

I wish this list was as easy to me as it was to you! I think as much as I like reading though, I don't read as much as everyone else and my book amnesia is so bad that when it comes to remembering a certain thing or theme... nope! Love your list though, especially since it's so unique!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Barbara, me too... not sure I could pull one off, but I would love to try someday.

Anna, how cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Thanks, Asti. I like the phrase "book amnesia"--I get that, too. I try to keep an up-to-date list of what I am reading so I can go back and refresh my memory when it fails.



Vijaya said...

Great list for this time-travel junkie ... I've only read half of them. So thank you!

Leandra Wallace said...

I've read A Swiftly Tilting Planet, but it's been so long ago that I can't remember a thing about it! I need to refresh myself on those books, b/c I do remember that I really liked them.

Ruth Donnelly said...

Glad you found some new ones, Vijaya!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Leandra, I'm a big fan of Madeleine L'Engle, and I keep meaning to reread the whole series. Maybe this is the summer to do it...

Charlotte said...

Yay for Time Travel fun! This is a great list, and thanks for the reminder that I need to review a few of these (When You Reach Me in particular) for my Time Slip Tuesday thing...I am up to 189 time travel reviews.

Ruth Donnelly said...

I love your timeslip Tuesdays, Charlotte! Hope everyone will hop over to your blog for the latest and greatest in kids' time travel literature.

Jess Keating said...

Awesome roundup! I've been in a bit of a reading slump this week so I'll add some of these that I haven't read to the TBR list! :D Thanks!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Thanks, Jess--enjoy!

Marcia said...

Ah, more books for my pile!

Ruth Donnelly said...

I know, Marcia. Too many books!