Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Top Ten MGs to Reread


The theme of the week over at The Broke and the Bookish is "If you like X book/author, here are some similar books you might enjoy." There are some GREAT lists this week, and you can find links to all of them here.

I'm doing a rogue Top Ten List and sharing the top ten middle grade novels I intend to reread in the near future, and why I want to reread them.


Magyk - I enjoyed this one so much, but never got around to the other books in the Septimus Heap series. I want to reread the first one before reading the rest.









The Secret Language of Girls - because I think Frances O’Roark Dowell is a fantastic writer, and I love the story of Kate and Marilyn and how they navigate the tricky social waters of sixth grade.










Knee-Knock Rise - because Natalie Babbitt is a genius. 'Nuff said.






 


A Wrinkle in Time - because Madeleine L’Engle is one of my heroes, and I haven’t read this classic fantasy in a while.









When You Reach Me - because it’s an homage to A Wrinkle in Time, so reading them one after the other just makes sense.










The Secret Garden - because I’ve recently read several books that are reimaginings of TSG (The Humming Room, Beswitched) and because it contributed some inspiration for one of my WIPs).







The Grimm Legacy - because I love how Shulman puts fairy tale magic into a contemporary urban setting.










The Alley - because I absolutely adore Eleanor Estes, and the story of Connie and Billy and their idyllic-but-not-perfect neighborhood is one of my all-time favorites.
Check out the cute, new cover on this reissue!





 


The Tunnel of Hugsy Goode - because it’s a continuation of The Alley, and an exciting story--and it’s fun to see how the quirky Alley kids have grown up. And ditto on the cute, new cover.









 Inkheart - This isn't really a reread, though I'm familiar with its story and it's been sitting on my bookshelf for a long time. I blush to admit I have never read it from cover to cover. My daughter loved it in the fifth grade, and it’s time for me to read it for the first time.







Do you like to reread books? Which of your favorites stand up to repeated readings?

Check back on Monday for a review of The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict!

Coming Tuesday:  Top Ten MG Novels with Vivid Worlds!

3 comments:

Vijaya said...

Great list. Definitely anything Natalie Babbitt and Madeleine L'Engle. I also love Elizabeth George Speare and Scott O'Dell ... I think my love of HF is showing :)

Ruth Donnelly said...

Oh, those are good ones, Vijaya. I'd love to reread The Witch of Blackbird Pond.

Marcia said...

I don't reread much, except for HP, but I think I need to make an exception for A Wrinkle in Time. I went through a period where I tried to read every word Madeleine L'Engle had written, and I think I came awfully close. Also love Natalie Babbitt and EG Speare.