Friday, July 20, 2012

Else Holmelund Minarik, R.I.P.


Else Holmelund Minarik, author of the beloved Little Bear books, passed away last week at the age of 91. I have enjoyed Little Bear and its sequels with my own children and countless students. Thank you, Ms. Minarik--Little Bear will always hold a special place in my heart.

Besides being an author, Minarik worked as a journalist and as a first grade teacher. She and her family immigrated to the US from Denmark when she was four.

Minarik's sweetly humorous easy-to-read books are lovely, and Maurice Sendak's exquisite pen-and-ink drawings perfectly complement the text.




Little Bear (1957)
Father Bear Comes Home (1959)
Little Bear's Friend (1960)
Little Bear's Visit (1961)
A Kiss for Little Bear (1968)

Another well-loved Minarik-Sendak easy-to-read book is No Fighting, No Biting, published in 1958.

Here is her obituary from The Hornbook Magazine.

3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Aw, so sad. I read these books with my daughter.

Barbara Watson said...

I had not heard she died. She left such a legacy--for readers, teachers, and families to enjoy for years and years to come.

Ruth Donnelly said...

Yes, they have that timeless quality; I know kids will continue to read and enjoy them.

If you subscribe to the free PW newsletter, they have a nice tribute to Minarik in this week's issue.