Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How Do You Pronounce That Name?

Well, this is the coolest thing ever! An audio-guide to pronouncing author names correctly, with cute little sound-clips from the authors themselves!

Author Name Pronunciation Guide

Check it out! Some of them just pronounce their names. Others go on and on, telling anecdotes about the derivation of their name and describing creative ways people mispronounce it. I found this site via a wonderful kid lit blog called Bigfoot Reads. Thanks, Bigfoot!

I'm so excited--now I know how to say the name of Jon Scieszka, author of the Stinky Cheese Man and many other wonderful books. It's SHESKA, in case you were wondering. Rhymes with Fresca.

Be sure and listen to Jane Yolen.

Also Daniel Pinkwater.

Sherman Alexie is interesting, too.

And E. L. Konigsburg sounds so nice!

Seriously, did everybody except me already know about this? Which ones are your favorites?


Clip art from Discovery Education's Clip Art Gallery created
by Mark A. Hicks, illustrator.

11 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

I may need this for all but the commonly used place-names also. Too cool!

Vijaya said...

How fun! I did like "little bell that makes a big noise" -- it suits Jane perfectly. Daniel Pinkwater is funny ... but with a name like that, how can you not?

Marcia said...

Ruth, I did find this a couple of years ago. I love it. Thanks for the reminder; I've now bookmarked it.

Bigfoot said...

Thanks, Ruth! I think Jon Scieszka was one of the first names I checked out, too. I'm glad for the reminder of that link. There are probably tons of additions since the last time I checked it out.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

I didn't know about it. Thanks so much for spreading the word =)

Ruth Donnelly said...

Mirka- Yes, that would be helpful. Is there such a thing?

Vijaya- I know. DP would be the perfect person to invite to a dinner party.

Bigfoot- I'm so glad I clicked on the link in your sidebar!

Marcia and Ruth- You're welcome! Thanks for commenting! :)

Jess said...

Awesome! This is very cool and helpful :)

Jess said...

I like the Jon Scieszka one!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Me too, Jess! I also like Ridley Pearson; he has an odd story about his first name, which appears on nothing he has written.

Amy said...

Wow, this is awesome! I definitely didn't know about it, and I would NEVER have pronounced Jon Scieszka's name right. I also liked Kate DiCamillo's. I've always pronounced her name by saying the L's, but always wondered if that was right. Now I know! What a great resource!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Ooh, thanks for the idea, Amy! Just listened to Kate DiCamillo's. Good to know you pronounce the L's. It sounds like she is saying ka-mellow.