Thursday, July 26, 2012

Book Review: Small Medium at Large


Joanne Levy
  Lilah can hear ghosts … and, boy, are they annoying!

I thoroughly enjoyed Small Medium at Large. The trouble starts when Lilah, the delightful seventh-grade narrator, gets struck by lightning. She’s fine after a night in the hospital, except for one thing--now she can hear dead people speaking. Lilah’s grandma, Bubby Dora, is a frequent visitor, but Lilah meets other memorable spirits, too, including a famous fashion designer and an attention-seeking bad boy named Rufus. 

When she’s not mediating between the dead and the living, Lilah is a normal twelve-year-old. She watches ANTM with her best friend, talks back to Dolly the mean girl, gets her first bra, obsesses about her crush, Andrew Finkle, and looks forward to her upcoming bat mitzvah. She also worries about her dad, who was more upset than he’ll admit about Lilah’s mother’s remarriage. Throw in a school dance, a fashion show, and a rock concert, and it all adds up to a funny and sweet story for tween girls.


This is author Joanne Levy's debut novel. Check out her website here.






And here's the book trailer:

    

Coming Tuesday: 
Fifteen Favorite Female Fictional Characters!

10 comments:

Stephanie Theban said...

Sounds like a great book. I'll check it out. Thanks for the review.

Angelica R. Jackson said...

Cute book trailer on her site, too!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Stephanie, hope you enjoy it!

Angelica, thanks for mentioning the trailer! I'll add a link to it.

Barbara Watson said...

I've heard great things about this one. Adding it to my to-read list!

Kelly Hashway said...

That is one of the coolest titles ever!

Marcia said...

I love your book recs!

Julie DeGuia said...

This sounds interesting... will have to keep in on my "mental list." That is if I see it at the library I will hopefully remember to grab it!

I don't know if you play "blog games" but I tagged you in a meme... check out my blog for the info. :-)

Ruth Donnelly said...

Thanks, Julie--I'll check it out! :)

Pam Torres said...

This sounds really good! Thanks for spotlighting it! And I love the title!

Angie Sandro said...

Sounds like something my daughter will enjoy. Thank you for the review.