Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Top Ten MG Books To Read


It's Top Ten Tuesday! Here are the top ten books on my Middle Grade TBR list, and the reasons I want to read them.





1) Sway by Amber Mcree Turner - I’m intrigued by the idea of a magical force called Sway. And the excerpt I read was absolutely brimming with voice.










2) Beswitched by Kate Saunders - A timeslip novel in which a girl gets sent off to boarding school and winds up in the past. The premise reminds me of the 1969 children's book Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer.









3) The Books of Elsewhere, Volume 2: Spellbound by Jacqueline West - I liked the first one. Also, I want to find out what happens to Morton. And Book 3, The Second Spy, will be out in July.








4) Mistress of the Storm by M. L. Welsh - The blurb intrigues me: Verity Gallant knows she’ll never be as pretty and popular as Poppy, her perfect little sister-- she doesn’t quite fit in. But when a mysterious stranger hands her an ancient red book, everything changes.









5) Missing on Superstition Mountain by Elise Broach - It’s a mystery, and it’s by the author of Shakespeare’s Secret.









 6) Cold Cereal by Adam Rex - Something strange is going on in the Goodco Cereal Company! Reviews tell me this is a quirky and funny story about a boy named Scott (short for 'Scottish Play'--yeah, his dad was an actor), and a pair of super-smart twins named Erno and Emily. It's got leprechauns, magic, evil science experiments, and riddles. This is by the author of The True Meaning of Smekday.









7) See You at Harry’s by Jo Knowles - I saw Jo’s post about the NYT review of her book on the BlueBoards. The characters sound likeable and authentic, and the excerpt I read on Amazon made me want to read more.






8) Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell Out of a Tree and Emma-Jean Lazarus Fell In Love by Lauren Tarshis. Because I haven’t read them yet, and they sound delightful.






9)  Juniper Berry by M. P. Kozlowsky - Juniper, the eleven-year-old daughter of a famous actor and actress, teams up with Giles, a neighbor boy, to figure out why neither set of parents have been quite themselves lately. A dark and quirky debut novel with elements of Grimm, according to the reviews I've read. Check out the trailer below:




And, last but not least ...




10) The Extraordinary Education of Nicholas Benedict by Trenton Lee Stewart - A prequel to the Mysterious Benedict Society books! Need I say more?






Top Ten Tuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a delightful weekly meme created by the list-loving bloggers at The Broke and the Bookish.   Each week they post a new Top Ten list on a particular theme. Everyone is welcome to join--click here to find out how.


13 comments:

Barbara Watson said...

The cover of SWAY is enough for me and your one sentence description cements it. There are so many middle grade books to love.

LHughes said...

I haven't read any of these! I did read the first book in the Mysterious Benedict series and have heard good things about Juniper Berry. Great list!

storyqueen said...

These all look so good! And so much nice buzz about Meet Me at Harry's.

That SWAY cover is just awesome.

Shelley

Amy said...

I'm going to show this list to my middle two kids. I'm always on the lookout for quality material for them--thanks!

Gina C said...

gahhh, i love top ten lists! fun idea for tuesdays.

i am sad to say i haven't read many of these books! thanks for the recommendations :)

also - i seriously love your blog name! just signed up to follow :O)

Vikk @ Down the Writer's Path said...

I love the title Cold Cereal, and also love that you focus on middle grade fiction. Great list.

Samantha said...

Aw, I love this list. Juniper Berry and Mistress of the Storm sound great!

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Thanks so much for this roundup, Ruth. So many interesting titles here. I've added #1, 7, 8, and 9 to my list.

Mirka Breen said...

All great books, we'll await your report and reviews. Now you're on record!

Jen Witch said...

Juniper Berry sounds really good. I'm also interested in the Nicholas Benedict one.

Ruth Donnelly said...

Barbara, it is a great cover, isn't it?

Lauren and Storyqueen, thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Amy, I hope your kids enjoy some of these!

Gina, thanks for following and for the blog name compliment. The only problem with Readatouille is that no one can remember how to spell it.

Vikk, I'm glad you like the middle grade focus. Thanks for visiting!

Samantha, Ruth, and Jen, I'm glad you found some that sound interesting.

Uh-oh, Mirka... you mean you're going to hold me accountable? *bites nails and starts to read*

Marcia said...

Oh, my, I need to come back here later and write these down. I've only read one of them. I thought See You at Harry's was YA!

Ruth Donnelly said...

Not sure, Marcia. The protagonist is 12, which is within MG territory. Upper MG, probably.