Thursday, November 17, 2011

Library of the Early Mind


My son is taking a college course called The Golden Age of Children's Literature. It sounds so fascinating, I often wish I could sneak in and sit in the back of the class! Today he told me about a new documentary they watched: Library of the Early Mind. According to the website, the film explores "the art and impact of children’s literature on our kids, our culture, and ourselves." My son described it as a series of interviews with well-known authors and illustrators of children's books, covering a range from the earliest picture books through middle grade and YA.

The interviewees include Mo Willems, Jeff Kinney, Lois Lowry, Mary Downing Hahn, M. T. Anderson, Brian Selznick, editor Arthur Levine, Natalie Babbitt, Jane Yolen ... and many more!

Here's a link to the trailer.

I'm thinking about asking for the DVD for Christmas. You can also rent it via streaming video.

8 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Can your son pack me up in his backpack and sneak me in? This class sounds like a treat.

Stephanie Theban said...

Oh yes! I wish I could hear this too.

Jess said...

Wow, that course sounds amazing and the documentary sounds fantastic! Wish I could take that class :)

Ruth said...

Mirka, Stephanie, and Jess--I know! My son tried to register for another course about modern children's literature taught by the same prof, but, sadly, it was full. So glad he told me about this documentary, though!

inluvwithwords said...

My daughter took a course in Children's Lit her first year in college and their textbook was awesome. I inherited it when the class was over.

Ruth said...

Oh, cool! I asked DS if I could have his textbook, but he said there isn't one. They just read actual books--and, knowing him, he downloads them on his phone. ;)

theaccidentalnovelist said...

I'm with everyone else - I would have loved to have had such a class when I was in college. Thanks for the link to the trailer. I took a look at it and seems like a fascinating documentary.

and BTW - I really want one of those sweatshirts "Be careful or you'll end up in my novel" - lol.

Ruth said...

Haha... glad you like it, accidentalnovelist!