Saturday, July 17, 2010

What Worked?--Revisiting Childhood Favorites

Like most writers, I’ve loved books for as long as I can remember. My parents were readers, and they took my brother and me to the library regularly. I remember the joy of carrying my precariously-balanced stack of books into the house ... and that delicious quandary: which one shall I read first?

I didn’t read analytically back then--I was just a sponge, soaking up stories. But not just any stories. I was very clear about which books I liked and which ones I couldn't be bothered with. Lately, I’ve been looking back on the books that made an impression on me as a child. If the memory of a book has stuck with me for decades, there’s probably a good reason. That's why I'm taking a new look at some of my old favorites, asking, “What was it about this book that struck a chord with my eight-, nine-, or ten-year-old self?” and “Which of this author's techniques can inform my own writing?”

Carbonel, King of the Cats

No comments: