Saturday, July 31, 2010

Princess Posey

I won a contest, and I'm tickled pink! My prize just arrived in the mail--an autographed copy of Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade by Stephanie Greene.

If you know any little girls who are about to start first grade, you must get them a copy of this book. It's the story of Posey, a little girl who would wear her pink tutu every day if she could. Posey is nervous about starting first grade, until she meets her teacher, Miss Lee--and gives her a wonderful idea about how to help the children feel comfortable on the first day.

Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade is a beautifully-written early chapter book. From Posey's feelings about her baby brother ... to the neighbor boys who tease her... to her shyness when she runs into her teacher outside of school, the story rings true. The vocabulary and sentence length are perfect for children who are just starting to read longer books on their own. And the charming illustrations by Stephanie Roth Sisson complement the text perfectly. If you like this one, the next Posey book--Princess Posey and the Perfect Present--will be out in March 2011.

The contest was sponsored by the wonderful bloggers at From the Mixed-Up Files of Middle-Grade Authors. Here's a link to their interview with Stephanie Greene.

And now for some cool facts:

Cool Fact #1: My maiden name was Posey.

Cool Fact #2: Author Stephanie Greene's mother, Constance Greene, is the author of Leo the Lioness, my  absolute favorite book as a preteen.

Cool Fact #3: I can't wait to share this book with my students who are transitioning to first grade this year!

A big THANK YOU to Stephanie Greene and to the bloggers at From the Mixed-Up Files!

6 comments:

LM Preston said...

This is my first time dropping in, and I love, love, love your main pic - "careful you may.."

Ruth Donnelly said...

Thanks for visiting, LM. The picture is actually my favorite sweatshirt--I get a lot of smiles when I wear it. :)

Stephanie Greene said...

Hi Ruth,

I'm glad you received the book, and thanks for the very nice review. So far, First Grade Parade is the only Princess Posey book out that's by me. The "Perfect Present" will be out in March 2011, followed by two more books next year. And, hopefully, more after those. The other Posey book you listed at the bottom of your review isn't mine.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Bringing that little girl to life, with the help of Stephanie's perfect illustrations, has been a total joy. Good luck with your own writing, btw. As a teacher, you certainly know what you're writing about.

Stephanie

Stephanie Greene said...

Ruthm It's me again. I meant to say that a downloadable Teacher's Guide for "Princess Posey and the First Grade Parade" is available on a new K-5 website - www.readerkidz.com. I'm part of it. We launched last week and plan to offer downloadable Reader's Plays, Teacher's Guides, classroom activities and exercises, letters from authors to their readers, book reviews, and more to the teachers, librarians and parents who work with K-5 readers.

I hope you'll visit readerkidz and pass the link along if you like what you see. P.S. I'm so glad you're a fan of my mother's. ;)

Ruth Donnelly said...

Stephanie, thank you for the comments and for clearing up the misinformation--I made the corrections in the post above.

I'll definitely check out the readerkidz website. It sounds great! I teach special ed, and I know several little girls who will LOVE Princess Posey. Thanks for sharing the link.

Mayra Calvani said...

Looks like a cute book!