Thursday, May 27, 2010

Something I'm GLEEful About ...

Chris Eboch, author of the middle grade paranormal series Haunted, has posted a series of free writing lessons--and they are awesome! You can find them at Go to Write Like a Pro! A Free Online Writing Workshop. I'm working my way through them in order, starting with the older posts, because they are somewhat sequential (though you could dip into them anywhere and still benefit from the information). Chris adds a lesson once a week, usually on Fridays.

I'm so happy to have found this wonderful resource, I'm beside myself with GLEE. Speaking of which ... in this week's episode, I noticed an example of a writing strategy I'd just read about.

In her March 22, 2010 lesson, Plotting Advice from Sid Fleischman, Chris paid homage to Sid Fleischman, a great children's author who recently passed away. She shared several of Sid's writing tips, including what to do if there is a flaw in your story's logic ... apparently you simply point it out, and it will disappear! (Also see Sid Fleischman's tips for writers).

I had to laugh when Glee used this very strategy. Rachel (Lea Michele) and Vocal Adrenaline coach Shelby Corcoran (Idina Menzel) were getting ready to sing Poker Face. Of course, they needed an accompanist, so Rachel called, and Brad emerged from the shadows. Before you had time to wonder, "Hey, where did he come from?" Rachel remarked, "He's just always here." No explanation given, but Sid was right--problem solved!

4 comments:

Shannon Whitney Messenger said...

First of all--New Follower! *waves*

I've been buried under my agent's deadline for the last couple months and haven't been able to do any blog hopping, so now that I'm done I'm trying to hop around the blogosphere and get to know some more writers. Hope you don't mind me following you. I promise, I mean it in the NON stalkerish sense of the term. :)

And thanks for all these links. These are great! I'm hopping over to check some of them out right now.

Hope you're having a good day. Nice to meet you!

Ruth Donnelly said...

LOL--it's nice to meet you too, Shannon! I'm glad you like the links!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Great links! Woo-hoo - I love links! :-)

Susan Fields said...

That's so funny - I've done the same thing in my writing. If something seems odd, just have a character mention it, and then for some reason it seems okay.

Thanks for the links!