Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Teaser Tuesday Twofer

I got this from Aubrey (AKA Stacey) at My Pile of Books:

"Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading."

Here's how to play:
  • Grab your current read.
  • Open to a random page.
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page.
  • Share the title & author so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

    DO NOT INCLUDE SPOILERS! You don’t want to ruin the book for others.
Here are my teaser sentences--first, the opening sentences from The Accidental Demon Slayer, a paranormal novel by Angie Fox (who taught an awesome master class at the Missouri Writers' Guild Conference last weekend), in which Lizzie meets her grandma for the first time:

"I know I hadn't envisioned an apple-shaped woman in a Kiss My Asphalt T-shirt, with wind-burned cheeks and a sagging tattoo of a phoenix on her arm. But what I really didn't bargain for was a brief hug, followed by a forceful shove that had me landing firmly on my butt on the cold, black-and-white checked floor of my hall bathroom."

And from 36 Arguments for the Existence of God by Rebecca Newberger Goldstein:

"The world shifted, catching lots of smart people off guard, churning up issues you had thought had settled forever beneath the earth's crust. The more sophisticated you are, the more annotated your mental life, the more taken aback you're likely to feel, seeing what the world's lurch has brought to light, thrusting up beliefs and desires you had assumed belonged to an earlier stage of human development."

You can put your teasers in the comments section--or you can post them on your own blog and put a link in the comments.

7 comments:

Lisa and Laura said...

Great teasers! Thanks for sharing!

Lisa Green said...

"I creep up the stairs with a fry pan as my only defense, and despite the fact that my heart is beating like a humming-bird's, it strikes me as funny. Greetings, ax murderer! I was just wondering how you like your eggs?"

From Going Bovine by Libba Bray

Ruth said...

Love it, Lisa! I have GOT to read Going Bovine! Libba Bray rocks.

Marcia said...

Wow, this is such a cool idea! Creative blogging is an art in itself.

Susan Quinn said...

I love this idea! And both of those teasers had some great voice.

Jackee said...

Great, tasty teasers, Ruth! And a great idea!

Here's mine: "How can I carry it home?" I said. I was afraid to touch it.
"Let's put into a jar for now. I have a glass box in the library that will be the right size."

~ The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly

Ruth said...

That's a good one, Jackee--and I love the title!