Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Fantastic Writers' Conference!

Just got home from the Missouri Writers Guild Conference held in Chesterfield, MO this weekend. I'm so glad I went! I had a great time, learned a lot, and met a whole bunch of talented people who are serious about writing--and, at the same time, friendly and approachable. Here were some of the highlights of the conference for me:
  • Master Class--"Lining Up the Bones: Crafting the Paranormal Novel" (taught by Angie Fox, NYT Bestselling Author of The Accidental Demon Slayer)
  • Pitch sessions with Joanna Stampfel-Volpe, Suzie Townsend, and Kristin Nelson
  • Breakout session--"Writing for Young Adults" (led by Jennifer Brown, author of Hate List)
  • Panel Discussion--"Elements of Mystery Fiction" with Jo Hiestand, Judy Moresi, and Esther Luttrell
  • Keynote Address by Harper Barnes
  • Breakout session--"Pitching an Agent" (led by Dakota Banks, author of the Mortal Path series)
  • Breakout session--"The Magic of the Short Story" (led by Rebecca Carron)
  • Breakout session--"Writing the Middle Grade Novel" (led by Suzanne Lieurance)
  • Breakout session--"Platform for Posting" (led by Fedora Amis and Kim Killion)
I'll post more about the conference, but it will have to wait a bit. After Angie Fox's amazing class, I have a new direction for one of my middle grade novels, and revision is on the front burner. I also have a request for a full (for my chapter book) and two requests for partials!

7 comments:

Aimee said...

Congratulations, Ruth! The requests are great news! I can't wait to hear more about the conference.

Ruth said...

Thanks, Aimee! It's going to be a busy week, but I definitely plan to post more soon.

Jackee said...

What a great conference. That list of presenters sounds incredible and congrats on the requests. :o)

And I love your blog, so glad I found it!

Ruth said...

Thanks, Jackee! I'm glad you did, too!

Kristi Helvig said...

Congrats on the requests - how awesome! It sounds like the pitches went well and all three of them are amazing agents. :)

Ann Best said...

Sounds like it was a profitable conference for you. Congratulations! Selling and Marketing has changed so much since I first began writing. Can't send unsolicited manuscripts to the major publishing houses anymore. It's "pitching" and finding an "agent," etc. etc. I'm bookmarking your site to come in again and browse your links. They look very helpful and interesting. And thanks for your encouraging comments on MY blog.

Ruth said...

You're right, Kristi, you couldn't go wrong with any of those three!