Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Creating Lovable Characters


Here's a link to an interesting post in Slate Magazine called How to Make Characters Lovable. I haven't yet read anything by Amy Bloom, whose writing is discussed, but she's definitely going on my "to read" list. The article also mentions Laurie Colwin, author of Happy All the Time, a novel that does indeed feature lovable and memorable characters. Sadly, I discovered Colwin's wonderful work after she was gone--she died in 1992, at the much-too-early age of 48. Years ago, when I read several of Colwin's novels, I wasn't writing regularly. Now that I'm actively working on my writing skills, her work is due for a rereading.

3 comments:

Susan Quinn said...

Hey, just came over to visit! What genre are your middle grade novels? Mine's science fiction.

Catherine A. Winn said...

Thanks for the link. Nice blog.

Ruth said...

Susan, mine are mostly contemporary fantasies.

Catherine, thanks--glad you stopped by!