Friday, February 5, 2010

10 Silly and Not-So-Silly Ways to Find Time for Writing

1. Just say no to Facebook.

2. Carry your notepad or laptop with you and use odd bits of time that would otherwise be wasted.

3. Stop doing housework.

4. Use public transportation so you can write while commuting.


5. Stop cooking. Eat out instead, but take your laptop, and only go to places with plenty of electrical outlets.

6. Post a sign that says “Temporarily out of service”, and teach your kids and spouse what it means.

7. Reduce sleep time to five hours per night, and use the extra time for writing.

8. Learn to type while riding an exercise bike or walking on a treadmill.

9. Attend a writers’ retreat.

10. Join a local writers’ group that has regular write-ins … or start your own.

If you have other ideas, please leave a comment and share!

3 comments:

Lisa Green said...

LOL! Love this list. Number 1 really hits home. I waste way too much time online. :) I also am all for number 3 - I hate housework!

Anna said...

Great advice! I've been trying a combination of these and they do help (though seeing my house become a mess has been a bit painful). I think sometimes we underestimate how quickly a few short writing moments can add up.

Ruth said...

Lisa,
Me too... I wasn't kidding about number 3! Glad you enjoyed the list.

Anna,
I agree, the minutes really can add up if we use them well. Thanks for stopping by!