1. Hard to believe that summer school is almost half over already.
2. So sad about Michael Jackson. He was almost exactly my age--we were born not only the same year, but the same month. It’s a shame he didn’t have the chance to do the series of come-back concerts he had scheduled.
3. We’re in the eleventh--and, hopefully, last-- day of the heat wave that’s been gripping the midwest. Tomorrow is supposed to be much cooler--“only” 90 degrees!
4. I’m excited about the Bob Dylan/John Mellencamp/Willie Nelson concert on July 2nd.
8. Book I’m currently reading: The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike. It’s been on my “to read” list for a while because I wanted to read it before the sequel (The Widows of Eastwick). When I walked into my favorite coffee shop, Stone Spiral, there it was, calling to me from the free used books shelf.
9. Book I plan to read next: The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman.
10. My own writing is not going well. I started out the summer wonderfully--writing every day--but there’s a basic flaw in the premise of my WIP, and I can’t seem to resolve it. I think I need to put it away for a while and work on something else entirely.
11. No recipes to share; I haven't been doing much creative cooking lately. Mostly we're relying on old quick & easy mainstays like hummus, pasta salad, and bean burritos. Last weekend Terry cooked a wonderful feast on the grill: tofu basted with a delicious miso sauce, grilled eggplant, and a mixture of grilled veggies: yellow squash, zucchini, mushrooms, and red peppers.