Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Dead Santas
















And now for my annual week-after-Christmas rant:


I love colored lights--the old kind and the new LED ones. I love reindeer and spiral-shaped Christmas trees and fake snow. 

But I'm not so crazy about those Christmas inflatables that have sprouted up everywhere. Since Thanksgiving our city has been taken over by huge, garish lawn ornaments. And now ... they're dead. What could be sadder than seeing the lifeless bodies of all the Santas, snowmen, Homer Simpsons, and SpongeBobs littering the lawns? Post-holiday letdown is bad enough without this.

When I was in college, I was a member of a puppet team. Our guiding principle, the First Commandment of Puppeteering, was this: Never let the kids see the puppets when not animated by a human hand. 

Sometimes this was tough. Our fans would crowd around while we were trying to set up or take down the stage, and we'd have to find ways to distract them, or leave the work for later. But that principle always came first. The children must never see the puppets lying "dead". The reason? It made them cry.

I will leave you with two thoughts:


1) If there must be giant inflatable Christmas decorations, they should be kept inflated at all times.

2) How did Homer Simpson and SpongeBob SquarePants became part of the holiday tradition, anyway?


4 comments:

Mirka Breen said...

Ouch, Ruth. What a goner.
I wish whoever puts the air in would take it out when out of sight. Deflating is a great metaphor for what many feel, I must admit.

Kelly Hashway said...

I agree that the inflatable characters look awful all deflated on people's lawns. Bring them in during the day or keep them inflated.

Ruth Donnelly said...

Mirka, I guess it is an appropriate metaphor at that!

Kelly, that would solve the problem, but I guess bringing them inside is just too much trouble! Some of them will lie there well into January.

Eileen said...

Yes, let's outlaw the dead Santas, dead Frostys and dead reindeer. A couple years ago, one of my neighbors had a truly obnoxious inflatable CAROUSEL (with characters) that turned around inside a giant clear bubble. We had a major icestorm followed by heavy snow that pelted the hideous inflated carousel to death. Problem solved.